Friday, November 19, 2004

Exploring Spring (The Restaurant)

It's official, I'm looking for real estate. I had breakfast with Aya & Marco this morning at Eat Well in Silverlake. Amongst the many things we chatted about (i.e., their wedding of the century, law school, art school, Brooke & Tyler, Thanksgiving, Portland), we talked about this restaurant I hope to open in 2005. I'm not getting any younger nor is there anything I love more than eating (okay, maybe watching movies, reading the New Yorker and sardonic fiction, surfing the net, and all the usual).

I shared with them the two pieces of real estate on the docket that piques my interest. One is in Venice (on A/K), the other in L.A. (Los Feliz adjacent on Melrose, west of Vermont). I outlined my plan and discussed the menus. Being the fellow foodies they are, they questioned the menu and concept. Marco put it best, "Wow, you've been thinking about this for a long time." Indeed, it's true. For this first venture (hopefully there will be many until I get sick and resume writing fiction and directing films), I'm dreaming of a place that will satiate both my desire to entertain loved ones, feed foodies as well as make money. What I envision in an ideal world is a loft (ala Clark Lewis in Portland) acting as a casual lunch time café (serving healthy Asian rolls, gourmet rice bowls, "wacky" Asian beverages), catering business, and underground restaurant to foodies (gourmet food/wine pairings to an exclusive group).

I got in the car and was fully inspired. Well, the rumblings have been going on for months if not years. But today felt different as I spoke about it aloud to Aya & Marco. I was excited, I had a vision. I was obsessed. So, sitting atop the world with it as my oyster, the inspirations came, one after another. One inspiration was an epiphany: the name, the nucleus, the essence. Let me back up. For about five years, I've had this "roll shop" idea and was going to call it "Sisters" after my sisters. There would be different specials, named for the preference of Susie and Kimme (and even James eventhough he's a brother). However, I got in the car, listened to Morning Becomes Eclectic, breathed in warm Southern Cali air, drove past the building on Melrose/Vermont and I thought of Spring. Spring: the season, the harvest, a time of renewal, a fresh start, a mechanical instrument that bounces, a coil or wire that remains it shape after being compressed or extended, a flexibility, a motion, a leap, resilience, a stream of water from the earth, nascency of hope and growth. And, the Spring roll which is perfect in its own right. Could a more perfect word or name exist for all the literal and figurative thoughts in my mind?

SPRING

Here starts this blog, documenting the process of opening this restaurant as well as inspirations and emotions that accompany it. I'm sure there will be a lot of trials and errors. Be patient. Be forgiving. Put on your sunscreen and hop aboard.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the name is inspired, and I love how you considered all the multiple meanings of the word. In my next life I want to be a Restaurateur, for this one I will enjoy reading about your adventures.

5:52 PM  
Blogger darth said...

its a wonderful, multilayered name.

and i love springrolls. LOVE them. as long as they don't overdose on the five spice.

10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home