Monday, December 13, 2004

Dinner & Scrabble - Part Deux

Saturday night, I cooked dinner for Drew and SK (Karen, who flew back to NYC yesterday). They, respectively, beat me in two rounds of Scrabble, but it's okay. I fed my friends and that made me happy. Hold on, did I just concede? Don't worry, the snarky competitor is still in me. Wait until I whip my peers' soufflés (as a matter of speaking) in our culinary arts final tomorrow.

I'm getting hassled by other guy friends about continuing to cook for Drew and not them. Don't worry, your meal is being planned and I promise to cook for you soon. Nothing gets me as excited as a jealous guy.

Using all organic ingredients, from produce down to butter, spice and sugar, here was our meal.

Starter: Summer rolls with tofu and herbs, served with a plum-peanut sauce. Tossed mandarin salad, topped with sweet-pickled carrots.


Entree: Steak layered over grilled eggplant, wasabi mashed potatoes with wasabi caviar, topped with caramelized onion, shiitake mushroom wine reduction sauce.


Dessert: Warm pear tart topped with fresh whipped cream + berries.

8 Comments:

Blogger darth said...

mmmmmmm...that sounds like a perfect menu...

what is wasabi caviar? that sounds incredibly decadent and yummy. and what cut of steak?

7:44 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

tee hee; Darth sent me here for the Scrabble coverage. Do you play with a timer? We're having trouble with our games getting too lengthy.

Will be back for more Spring!

7:45 PM  
Blogger mhp said...

Darth, wasabi roe/caviar (see bottom of page): http://earthy.com/a_caviar.htm

It was a strip steak. I would've preferred a tenderloin steak, but those are hard to get a hold of without prior planning. I don't eat much meat (and was a vegetarian for many years), so I'm not as well versed as I should be. I'm getting there. I can do beef, chicken, fish, duck, shrimp comfortably. Not great with pork and especially not good with lamb, squab, veal, pheasant, rabbit, and other gamish meats. I think it's important as a chef to know as much as possible, but my specialty will be lighter fare, ala Cali-Asian cuisine.

PLD - welcome. Have a seat, make yourself comfortable.

8:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:14 PM  
Blogger darth said...

ohhh..its tobiko!! i've had that! wow..with wasabi mashed potatoes and shiitake..and eggplant..you can get away with a nice small steak, crunchy on the outside, pleasantly rare within.....what a great mix of textures and flavors!

ok, i just ate..why am i hungry again? wtf?

8:41 PM  
Blogger mhp said...

Darth, you nailed it. It was all about the texture. Steak was crispy on the outside, rare on the inside -- exactly as you described. You're good. I owe you a good meal.

9:11 PM  
Blogger darth said...

i can't wait :o

9:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shop at your favorite stores 24 hours a day. Why go to the mall when you can shop online and avoid the traffic

2:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home