Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Day with Karen Bennett

My friend Karen Bennett's in town from NYC (and brought the weather with her). She hates this, so I just have to start off by stating she's a Brooklyn D.A. in the gang unit, so she can kick some ass in her Blahnik boots. We call her SK as in Sister Karen because we know her through her brother Gregg. However, friends of mine who don't know Gregg still call her SK.

I started off our day together by dragging her to look at a property on Main Street in Venice before roaming around Abbott Kinney. We looked at furniture, clothes, books, jewelry, knick-knacks. Karen bought herself a gorgeous rose quartz necklace designed by Sandrine at the Goddess before buying me a late birthday gift, Donna Hay's "The New Cook." It's a beautiful (and very useful) cookbook with a bad title. I've been carrying it around with me for the last two days, whipping it out with the slightest mention of book or food.

As the sun was coming out for the first time in days, we relished our time walking from one store to the next. We finally took a break, planting ourselves in the patio at Lilly's. We both had the special of the day: Grilled chicken with ratatouille and pesto rice. We started with pureed vegetable soup. The orange-yellow liquid was mellower than I had expected, but decent. The entree was perfectly served and proportioned. It's hard to go wrong at Lilly's.

We walked around a bit more, had a coffee and shared an almond croissant at Abbott's Habit before heading to Surfas. SK was delighted that she can buy a kilo of lavender at a time there. I'd love to see her get stopped at the airport for that.

5 Comments:

Blogger apple said...

I went to high school with a Karen Bennett, she had an older brother but I'm fairly certain his name wasn't Gregg. Also, I'm also pretty sure she isn't a Brooklyn D.A. That would have flipped me out if your Karen and my Karen were one and the same.

7:16 PM  
Blogger mhp said...

Probably a different one. Karen is in her mid 30's and went to HS in Long Island.

1:35 AM  
Blogger Isabella said...

i got the book for X-mas last year.

maybe we should all cook when you visit.

1:57 PM  
Blogger mhp said...

Isa, have you used it? I love it! I'll definitely cook when I'm up there if you guys are up for it.

8:01 PM  
Blogger Isabella said...

Actually, i was flippin' through it last night when i realized i don't have a lot of the necessary equipment.

So are you guys really coming next weekend? I need to email y'all.

This whole weekend job at the glass gallery thing is going to be a pain in the friggin' bootay.

10:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home