Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Kimmie at the helm.

Last night Kimmie, my youngest sister, came up to hang out and see "The Life Aquatic of Steve Zissou" with me. The film was an Anderson delight, although I'm thinking this will be his last in the series of over-designed films (crossing fingers) as his talent is far beyond just that (crossing fingers again). Music, as with all of Anderson's films, continues to be a highlight; in this film, David Bowie songs are covered in acoustic Portuguese by the very handsome Brazilian Seu Jorge and Mark Mothersbaugh's contines his great job, great use of the Sigur Rós symphony to end the film.

We got out of the theatre at about 10 and after retrieving my digi camera (which was confiscated by Disney security upon our entrance), we went looking for food. Kimmie's a picky eater as it is, and being especially cold, she added request to eat indoors, knowing my preference to dine al fresco. We drove by Dough Boys, Cynthia's, both crowded. She didn't want Urth, Le Pain Quotidien nor Mishima. We drove by Matsuhisa, still open and fantastic, but we talked ourselves out of spending a few hundred dollars on a late night binge. Instead, we opted for Crazy Fish, barely making it through the doors before the lock clicked and sign turned over. Kim, who doesn't eat fish (yes, we pick on her about that too), had the bento box with chicken teriyaki and veg/shrimp tempura. I had albacore with ponzu sauce, hamachi hand roll with scallions, and spicy salmon tempura roll. All delightful and over-filling. The sushi there isn't the better in town, but a great place for "comfort sushi" and takeout.

Kimmie and I discussed the restaurant as we had over Thanksgiving weekend. When Kim first asked to help, I was hesitant and told her I'd rather her do other things and experience life and later on, if she still wanted to, she can work with me. Although in my heart, I knew it would be great since our aesthetic sensibilities (in art, design, culture) were similar and she's very trustworthy. However, there were a few things I had to think over. On a practical level, our taste buds are very different and she doesn't have foodie sensibilities nor is experimental with it. She's more like Dad that way, additionally, she doesn't eat sauce which turns me into the tyrant sister, wondering where my parents went wrong. On an emotional level, I know the business is going to be a lot of work and think she's too young to have to be committed to it and would like her to gain other life, creative experience. Ideally, I'd like James & Vikki (also very trustworthy with certifiable work ethics) to run the place with me, but I can't ask them to quit their posh jobs with insurance and paid vacation to join me on my latest whim.

After ruminating the details with Kimmie, from layout of the restaurant -- I'm still having a very, very difficult time securing a lease and am continuing to look at different locations -- to the food and down to the color of napkins and chopsticks, I think Kimmie is the right person to join me. She has the charm and calmness to run the front of the restaurant. She is as detailed as I am when it comes to something looking displaced and I can trust that she will make great decisions running the front of the restaurant, managing the host/wait staff. I'd like to concentrate my time in the kitchen and giving the place the fresh, creative energy that I envision.


Dad + Kimmie (c. 1983) - Nice hair. Nice shirt (lack thereof), Dad.

7 Comments:

Blogger darth said...

whoa...i'll come down when you open. and i'll bring bella and inkedaisygirl too. be sure to blog some menu stuff!

3:19 PM  
Blogger mhp said...

Yes, yes, yes, you must, you must. I have the basic menu and I'll post that soon.

5:01 PM  
Blogger Arethusa said...

I want to coooome. :waaaah:

Kimmie looks absolutely adorable in that pic and Dad looks so happy. :-)

5:46 PM  
Blogger mhp said...

You WILL have to come down. My family has brief moments of cuteness. That picture was one of 'em.

6:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Darth, didn't your hair used to do that too...? It's cuter in a red dress ;)

MP! That is a beautiful photo. Your dad's got kinda a Bruce Lee thing going on.

7:57 PM  
Blogger darth said...

what do you mean..used to? :o

2:21 PM  
Blogger mhp said...

Darth, let's see the photos.

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home