Sunday, December 19, 2004

Dinner for Friends @ Denny's

My boyfriend and his family came over for dinner at Denny's (as in my friend Denise, not the restaurant). An energetic Maverick, armed with recent piano lessons, a gameboy, and new embarrassment for showing affection in public, brought along his parents and my friends, Maggie and Ken, and Mav's four months old sister, Lily. We told silly stories and Maggie (as in designer Maggie Barry) promised to help me with costuming/uniform for the restaurant's staff.

In addition to Maverick and his family, Denny and Greg (the hosts), I was finally showing off my latest skills to good friends Rob and Ed. Again, I have to thank Denny for being a generous host and best sous chef, helping me get dinner on the table before midnight.

We started with summer rolls, grilled buttered steak and tofu paired with two sauces, a coconut-hoison sauce topped with fresh crushed roasted peanuts and nuoc mam garnished with fresh carrot pickles. Then we had a grilled shrimp and crisp persimmon salad.


Lemongrass steak served over gingered sweet potatoes, side of bok choy, topped with caramelized onion and red wine soy reduction sauce. (Robbie enjoying, I hope.)


And we finally finished with ginger-lemon-pear galettes. (That's Maverick, making fun of my galettes, or as I explained to him, rustic tarts.)

5 Comments:

Blogger darth said...

mmmmmm...sounds like another killer culinary experience...and that picture of grilled shrimp and persimmon salad looks really really tasty.

summer rolls?

7:43 PM  
Blogger mhp said...

Darth: I didn't take alot of pictures that night, so none of the summer rolls. I can't wait to make you a meal. I love your description of the banh mi. Good stuff.

1:14 AM  
Blogger Isabella said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:17 PM  
Blogger Isabella said...

i was confused.

now i'm not. at least, not about the post.

carry on. pretend i was never here.

3:22 PM  
Blogger the hun said...

ohh keaye.

11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home