Thursday, December 23, 2004

Growing old in front of my very eyes

This New Year's Eve is going to be like no other. Being it's my favorite social celebration, my options were endless: go to Giant and roll with 17,000 of my closest friends as I've done in the past, go to Jen + Maki's for a more intimate but equally festive party, count down wildly with New York friends, drink abundantly with Minneapolis friends, go to Palm Springs with Denny + Greg, or as I've decided, join Steven and his entourage at the ranch to participate in a gourmet weekend. I'll be doing the honors and cooking for a dozen of us.

To opt for caviar and creme fraiche, hearth and board games rather than glitter, stilettos and little pink tabs is new for me. It's going to be different waking up on the first and making breakfast for friends rather than binge insomnia (not by choice) and having no memory of where I left shoes, ID, coat, camera, phone, credit cards.

You know how else I know I'm getting older? When some friends asked if I bought my ticket to Giant. I said no, but I did buy season tickets to the LA Phil for 2005. Frightening! Yet, I'm so happy! I'm looking forward to enjoying Veuve in real champagne flutes and not straight from the bottle or in plastic cups. I'll be wearing slippers and a t-shirt, not stilettos and a boa. Finally, I'll go to bed the same way I woke up, by myself, in fresh laundered pajamas, and having brushed my teeth the night before.

Here's to getting older and enjoying the moment to come rather than comparing it to expectation.

5 Comments:

Blogger darth said...

another year older, wiser, and hungrier :)


i love our family new years eve celebrations...no wild parties, not a lot of guests or strangers..just family and a few close friends, listening to music, a fire, board games, and great snacking food set out all night-smoked salmon, tiny potato pancakes, 3-4 types of caviar, meat, bread, and cheeses, maybe this year some fois gras, if it gets delivered on time...and yes, creme fraiche!

have a wonderful holiday season, mhp!

8:08 AM  
Blogger Isabella said...

i know. i only had three beers last night, we didn't get the whole box of firecrackers lit, i never flashed my boobs and went home before 1am by myself.

Oh. well, different stages, i guess.

Heres to having fun, though! Merry Christmas, MP.

10:18 AM  
Blogger mhp said...

So warm, so warm. Thank you Gregor, Darth, Isa! Darth, you have quite the gourmet family. I've long established that I'll give my family Christmas, but New Year's is mine. I love New Year's Eve. It's a paradoxic night of endings and beginnings, being alone but with many, talking to many but only living in my head, calm amongst chaos.

I'll write a more thankful post the next few days. But in the meantime, you guys enjoy your holidays. Thank you for making mine's a little warmer.

10:50 AM  
Blogger mhp said...

Isa, no flashing? Don't let me down. Yeah, they are stages and it's nice to finally be at one where you're confident but not cocky, do things your way but with tact, be comfortable with uncertainty, be grateful yet don't take it too seriously. Enjoy yourself, bella (as in the Italian affection, not your name).

10:55 AM  
Blogger the hun said...

Yeah, I will probably only snort coke this new year's, no ecstasy. probably.

10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home