Monday, February 28, 2005

Meal Prep Notes

I have about a hundred of these notes in between my notebooks, textbooks, in the middle console of my car, all over my desk, kitchen refrigerator (and I'm sure some lost in classrooms and rented kitchens). Sketching out a menu is one of the first things I do when planning a meal. Surprisingly, I can read my own handwriting. If I have others helping me, I write neater and better organize my notes. Sometimes I have different versions (rough through final).

This is a rough draft (and initial thoughts) for my friend Doug's surprise dinner -- service for 20
doug_bday

This is a cocktail reception I prepared for a hip business gathering at the Standard Downtown. Obviously, this is the first set of notes.

Our final menu, English Butler style service except for the mini bowls of edamame near the bar, consisted of:
• Bite sized seared ahi, over a mini-nest of pan fried vermicelli, topped with wasabi caviar (sweet soy dip on the side)
• Chicken satay (on skewers, peanut sauce on the side)
• Three kinds of spring rolls: Butter Grilled Beef, Tofu, Veggies + Herbs (coconut-hoisin-peanut and nuoc mam sauces served on the side)
• Curry chicken salad canapés (madras blend with fresh asian pears, dried cherries, home made asian aioli)
• Coconut cranberry shortbreads
• Mini ginger brulee's served in edible shells
standard_reception

This is an initial (and probably only/last) set of notes for a Lobster Risotto dinner I'm cooking for friends this Wednesday.
lobster_risotto

8 Comments:

Blogger littledminor said...

what are you using the blood oranges for?

8:00 PM  
Blogger mhp said...

hi ldm, i'm going to supreme and fold them with the fresh cream for the cake filling. genoese is a basic sponge cake.

9:29 PM  
Blogger Arethusa said...

I'm still trying to find someone whose handwriting is worse than mine...your's doesn't quite cut it. :P

You have made me hungry though, as always! I think that everytime I check your blog I should ensure that I'm munching on something delish.

10:59 PM  
Blogger darth said...

there is not one thing on those napkins that i wouldn't relish...i even took the extra time to decipher the handwriting and sketches (still clearer than my "handwriting")..lobster risotto sounds so decadently delicious...and..butter grilled beef spring rolls? whoa..

9:05 AM  
Blogger mhp said...

darth, if you're going to go through the trouble of cooking, it might as well be yummy, right? on the other hand, there are few things that aren't. the lobster risotto was pretty good, if i say so myself. it's all in the stock, baby. and we took a lot of time making it.

8:16 AM  
Blogger darth said...

mhp...can you imagine how much stock this lobster would have made?

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050301/capt.paks10203011906.leviathan_lobster_paks102.jpg

10:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Next time I stop by your blog, I will make sure to eat more than a slice of toast with peanut butter before hand!!! :drool:

12:04 PM  
Blogger mhp said...

darth, i prefer smaller lobsters (younger, more tender meat). my rule of thumb is one between 1.5-2lbs. i actually don't know what the obsession with big lobsters is all about. lobster is one thing i think i can OD on -- in sparse amount with effective preparation, it's a delight, in abundance, a waste.

bella, hi! how are you? i miss your blogs. better start making some time for it! xxx

1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home